Use of Grade 1 Terminator in Rules of UEB 2013

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary Use of Grade 1 Terminator in Rules of UEB 2013

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    freemanw

I hope everything is going well! I am writing today to ask about the use of the Grade 1 Terminator on page 54, the last example of section 5.6.2. It looks as such:

C3_*p]sonal_*#bjji;'f9.es

I notice that the Grade 1 terminator is being used after the numbers 2009 and I know that the numeric indicator is also a Grade 1 indicator, so I understand the use of the Grade 1 terminator in this instance. What I find confusing are other examples that choose not to use the Grade 1 terminator. Such as, from page 53, section 5.6.1:

shopping4you %opp+#dyou

and

4starhotel@webnet.com #dstarhotel@awebnet4com

Why is the Grade 1 terminator not used in these instances? I understand that the y after the 4 cannot be mistaken as a number and the same goes for the s after the 4 in the second example but if the Grade 1 terminator were applied uniformly it would make translation much easier. Am I understanding this correctly, the Grade 1 terminator is only used if the number is followed by a word and then only if that word begins with a letter that can be construed as a number, right?

claurent

The reason for the grade 1 terminator for the example on page 54 is so that the contractions can be used in the word 'finances'. If you notice in the other two examples, no contractions are used after the numeric indicator.

The preferred method in transcribing things like this is the one that takes less space or makes reading easier. Using no contractions following the numeric indicator in shopping4you takes less space than inserting a terminator after the number and using contractions. In 4starhotel@webnet.com, either way (contracted or not) takes the same space. I think this method was chosen because the uncontracted word is easier to read than if a grade 1 terminator was used and then the contractions.

Cindi
    edited by claurent on 3/10/2015

claurent

Aha! Thank you for clearing that up! If could ask one more quick question: What if the word were fine, instead of finances? Would you use the letter sign to differentiate the f from a 6? As in:

[simbraille]C3_*p]sonal_*#bjji;fine[/simbraille]

Or, if I have chosen a bad example, what would you do if the word's letters could be mistaken for a number but the grade 1 terminator would not save space? I tried to find an example of this in the UEB manual but, unfortunately, I am not as familiar with this manual as I would like to be, so I may have overlooked it.

Thanks,
    William

freemanw

Sorry it took me so long to answer.

What you did with fine is ok. It might be better in this instance though to put in the grade 1 terminator and then contract the in.

freemanw

No problem. Thanks for your help! So if I am understanding everything you've said correctly the Grade 1 terminator is used only when it would allow the use of contractions and those contractions would cause the braille to take up the same amount of space or less than if a letter sign (or no indicator was used in the case of letters that couldn't be mistaken for numbers) had been used instead.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.