use of numeric indicator in number lines in UEB Math/Science

Home Forums Unified English Braille Technical use of numeric indicator in number lines in UEB Math/Science

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Susan Baker
    Participant

Hello!

For the number lines in the attachment, would I use the numeric indicator for the whole numbers and/or the fractions?  If I follow the current 2010 Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics, I don't believe I would, although of course, only Nemeth examples are shown. But if I look at the Guidelines for Technical Materials that pertain to UEB Math/Science, it looks like I do put the numeric indicators in numbers below the number line. This is for a 3rd grader and I am using tactile graphics for the number lines, not the braille constructions. Thank you for your help.

Susan Baker

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Susan,

Thank you for your question!

I would not use the numeric indicator for the whole numbers or for the fractions that are below the number line. This follows the intent of the  2010 Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics. [Pssst! Not using numeric indicators at the beginnings of labels below a number line also follows what the 2022 GSTG will say. Though not yet published, the text of the 2022 GSTG has been approved by the BANA Board and is now being carefully prepared for general distribution.]

–Kyle

P.S. If I had a mixed number below a number line, then I would use a numeric indicator before that mixed number's fractional part. Your example does not have that; I just want to be wildly thorough. A related thread here on Ask an Expert is Time on number lines.

Susan Baker
    Participant

Thank you! I appreciate your helpful and thorough advice. 🙂

Susan

Susan Baker
    Participant

Hello! I have a follow-up question related to the original post.

OK, no numeric indicators in numbers below the number line (unless extenuating circumstances like numbers following colons in time, and fractional part of mixed numbers).  But, would one need to put the numeric passage indicator before the number line and then numeric passage terminator below the number line for UEB Math/Science transcriptions?

Thank you.

Susan

kdejute

Well said!

In short, no. At least, not according to the yet-to-be-published Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics, 2022.

I would not include the numeric passage indicator or numeric passage terminator for a number line. Remember, a note would need to be included on the Transcriber’s Note page alerting the reader of the omission.

–Kyle

Susan Baker
    Participant

Thank you for your  helpful guidance.

Susan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.