Use or nonuse of English Letter Indicator

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Use or nonuse of English Letter Indicator

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Do I use the English Letter Indicator when the letter and the equal sign are on seperate braille lines? The math sentence is:

C = 5/9(F-?)

I understand Section 33a. on page 36 of the book AN INTRODUCTION TO BRAILLE MATHEMATICS Based on the Memeth Braille Code for Mathematics and Science Notation, 1972. It says:

"The English letter indicator must not be used with a single English letter or short-form combination in regular type immediately preceding or following a sign of comparison. However, the English letter indicator must be used with a single letter or a shortform combination which is separated from a sign of comparison by a mark of punctuation."

When a runover of the math sentence separates the letter from the sign of comparison, does an English Letter Indicator then need to be used?
    Thanks!
    Laura B.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

No, you do not need the English Letter Indicator in the case you mention. The equal sign is still considered to be next to the letter C even though it has been placed on a new braille line because it is all part of the expression. If the equal sign starts a new sentence following a period, then it would not be considered to be adjacent to the preceding letter.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thank you!
    Laura

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

A transcriber wondered if she was missing something in the original question here. When would the example equation ever need to be divided at the equal sign? It is a short sentence that will fit on the braille line. I responded that I assumed it was a question about the general situation, not necessarily that specific equation. But now I want to make sure my assumption was correct, or if there is something I missed also.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

This sentence is part of a paragraph in which that particular math problem came at the end of the braille line.
    Laura

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Even though it comes at the end of the braille line, because it is so short, you would bring the entire expression down to the next line rather than divide it between lines.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.