variables in bold in a math text

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science variables in bold in a math text

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I am pretty sure I read in the Nemeth codebook that if variables are listed in bold throughout a math book, in the explanatory portion of the math text, then italics which would indicate the bold can be omitted in the braille. But if variables were in bold in itemized exercises in the text, would I then go ahead and indicate the bold by using the italic indicator? Thanks for your advice on whether I am interpreting this correctly.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

If something is in bold in a Nemeth book, it is transcribed in bold (not italics) except for paragraph headings which are italicized according to Braille Formats. Generally, variables are italicized in print, and the italics are omitted on variables in braille. However, if variables are in bold in a math book, that usually means they are vectors, for which the boldface must be maintained. Could you send me a picture of the print you are transcribing?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.