Vector in a fraction

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Vector in a fraction

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I am transcribing a physics workbook that is using boldface for vectors. I know that I need to retain the boldface. However, I am having trouble figuring out how to key the boldface when the vector is in a fraction, and when I need letter indicators and when I don't. Here is an example from the book:

d sub f - d sub o/t sub f - t sub o

The top half of the fraction is bold, and the bottom half isn't. I also have similar fractions using Greek letters, for example:

delta d/delta t

where the top half again is in boldface and the bottom isn't. How exactly to I key this? And where do I need letter indicators? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!
    Deb

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi, I'm answering for Dorothy for a few days.

Vectors require a boldface and letter indicator. The typeform indicator only extends to the letter which follows it, so it must be repeated for each letter. The letters in the bottom half of the fraction which are not bold do not require a letter indicator.

Mary

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for answering me. I just want to make sure that I understand this correctly.

If I'm reading your answer right, in the first example on the top of the fraction, I would need a [bold indicator], then the [letter indicator], then d sub f - [bold indicator], [letter indicator] d sub o. Is that right?

And for the second fraction, I would need a [bold indicator] delta [letter indicator] d. I don't think I would need a letter indicator before the delta because that would already have a Greek letter indicator. Is that right? Or do I need another bold indicator after the delta?

I've added the brackets just for clarification - they wouldn't actually be keyed.

Thanks again!
    Deb

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Follow up clarification question:

We read the answer to the first question and we're still not completely clear on how we should do this. There are 2 things throwing us off: the subscript information and the Greek letters. I'll start with the Greek.

If the text read delta d in plain text, the Braille would be [Greek letter indicator] [capital indicator] d d. If the delta d is in bold, would the Braille read [bold indicator] [Greek letter indicator] [capital indicator] d [bold indicator] [letter indicator] d? Is another "regular" letter indicator needed as part of the Greek letter or does the Greek letter indicator take place of the "regular" one? Or do you not need the second set of bold and letter indicators because the delta d is read as one letter? Clarification on this would really be appreciated.

We're also having a problem figuring out how to handle the subscripts and part of our confusion with this stems from the fact that the letter indicator and the subscript indicator are the same. For example, we have v subscript av in bold in the text. From the first answer, we know that the baseline letter should read [bold indicator] [letter indicator] v. Do we need to bold the subscript separately? Or is the subscript considered to be part of the letter that precedes it so the bold would be extended to it? Should the Braille for the subscript read [subscript indicator] [bold indicator] [letter indicator] a [bold indicator] [letter indicator] v? Or can the bold and letter indicators be omitted? Again, clarification would be appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

All of this is easier to visualize if we have a picture of the print example plus simbraille to look at. I will do my best with the print representation you have included.

d sub f - d sub o/t sub f - t sub o

[braille]?_;d;f"-_;d;o"/t;f"-t;o"#

Delta d/Delta t

[braille]?_.,d_;d/.,dt#

The typeform (bold) for a letter must always be followed by an alphabetic indicator (if the letter is Greek, this would be the Greek letter indicator). You do not also need an English letter indicator when the letter is other than English.

The typeform rule says that boldface type must be preserved when identifying letters as vectors. It is not necessary to also indicate the subscripts as boldface.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thank you!

Deb

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.