Velocity

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Hi,
    Below is a paragraph from a Nemeth book concerning velocity. My concern is the formula within the parentheses (kg•m/s). I thought at first the "dot" was the times symbol, but when in context with the surrounding text I'm not so sure. I've pasted the paragraph from the book just in case the attached file does not open. I hope this is adequate to get some idea as to how this should be brailled.
    ---------------
    Since mass is measured in kilograms and velocity is measured in meters per second, the unit for momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg•m/s). Like velocity, acceleration, and force, momentum is described by its direction as well as its quantity. The momentum of an object is in the same direction as its velocity.
    ---------------

Thank you,
    Fred

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    betty.marshall
    Participant

[u]I may have found the answer to my question.[/u] A paragraph with an example was found about 50 pages further into the book. Here is copy of the text:

To lift the heavier plant, you would have to exert a force of 100 newtons. So the amount of work you do would be 100 newtons × 0.5 meter, or 50 N•m.

My first idea was correct, that the dot represented the multiplication dot. I then questioned that and continued looking and found that it could also refer to a chemical period (dots 1,6). The N•m expression appears numerous times but not in a chemical context (this text is also formatted using Chemical Notation).

I feel confident that the multiplication dot is the correct format.
    Fred

Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

I'm glad that you persevered and found an answer. It is exactly what I would have suggested.
    Thanks for posting so that others can learn from the example you cited.
    Betty

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.