Vertical Bar

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I'm having trouble distinguishing in a txt when the Vertical bar should be a Sign of Comparison and when it should be a Sigh of Operation.

Ch.3 pages 59, 60 68 (#3.21), 69 I did as Signs of Comparison

Page 77 #3.39, b should be a Sign of Operation.

On page 59, the last paragraph

"... P(A given B)--written as P(A l B)"

The definition of the Vertical bar as a Sign of Comparison is "such that, given" so this might make this a Sign of Comparison, and maybe the rest of them also, except the one on page 77 (#3.39)

Thank you very much for you help.

kdejute

I'm sorry that I haven't responded sooner. I don't understand what you are referring to (pages 59, 60, etc.)

kdejute

I have come across the same thing. It is from a chapter on probability.

If A and B are dependent events, then P(A and B) = P(A)*P(B | A)

1. Would you leave a space before and after the vertical bar?
    2. Are letter signs needed for (A | B)?

Also, would you use a letter sign on the r in the fraction ?r radians/.p radians#
    edited by crepemyrtle on 7/14/2015
    edited by crepemyrtle on 7/16/2015

dworthing
    Participant

Thank you for your question. I apologize for my delay in responding.

Please see the Addendum to The Nemeth Code for Mathematics and Science Notation 1972 Revision, 2007 Update Clarification Addendum, available here: [url=http://brailleauthority.org/updates07addendum/clarificationaddendum07.pdf]link[/url]

At the end of the document linked above, there is an example that I believe directly addresses your first concern. And I believe the example indicates that the vertical line you're asking about (which seems to indicate conditional probability ([url=http://www.rapidtables.com/math/symbols/Statistical_Symbols.htm]link[/url])) means "given" and should be treated as a sign of comparison. So, you should leave a space before and after the vertical bar, and letter signs are not need for A or B.

crepemyrtle
    Participant

In response to your second question, no, I would not use a letter sign on the r or the pi in the fraction
    [simbraille]?r radians/.p radians#[/simbraille], because there should not be the opportunity for confusion since contractions can't be used in contact with the opening fraction indicator or the fraction line (Nemeth Code section 55.a.i).
    edited by kdejute on 7/18/2015

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.