Vertical division in the middle of a sentence

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Vertical division in the middle of a sentence

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Taylor Goldhardt
    Spectator

How do we transcribe a vertical division problem in the middle of a sentence? (Example attached) I don't want to convert it to a "horizontal" division (using the line with dot over and dot under) - the point of this lesson is to learn about long division. On the other hand, I can't think of any good, clear way to transcribe this!!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

Are you doing this in UEB technical or Nemeth?

Cindi

claurent

I guess I should also say - either way you need to remember that both codes have rules about representing a problem like this (which is that it is presented horizontally) - if you change those rules, you change the way the student will "normally" see problems like this.  If the lesson is about long division, surely there will be other problems that actually show the "long division" version of problems - and showing how to solve them ...without seeing the whole page - or at least more - it's hard to answer this.

Cindi

Taylor Goldhardt
    Spectator

This is in UEB Math/Science. This is at the bottom of a print page with 8 additional long division questions on that page, plus all the occasions earlier in the lesson. The student gets plenty of exposure to the usual method.

I see two options for this situation, and I don't much like either one. I attached a screenshot showing both versions. The boxes in the screenshot are purely to differentiate the options.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

I like the second option better.  You could also make it part of the sentence... put the words "make a drawing to show" on the same line as the 4 in the division problem (blank lines would, of course be required before and after this part of the sentence). You could, I think continue on  the same like with at least part of the next sentence. In essence, you put the spatial thing right within a line of braille.

Sorry for the delay in answering - I was asking others' opinions.

Cindi

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.