Vocabulary in a science book (To switch or not to switch… )

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Vocabulary in a science book (To switch or not to switch… )

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Aquinas Pather
    Participant

I posed this question on the Braille Formats section, but on second thoughts, it may be more appropriate here. I apologise for the mix up.
    -------
    Braille Formats 2016 shows how to transcribe items such as

amaze + ment = amazement
    hope + ful = hopeful

under Section 17 where UEB mathematical signs are used.
    --------

Question:

In a UEB with Nemeth transcription, where a science book has a grammar sections where they use math symbols in a literary context. Would you still switch to Nemeth for this item?

This is what the text looks like:

Vocabulary Skill

Greek Word Origins             Many science words come to English from Greek. In this chapter, you will learn the term geocentric. Geocentric comes from the Greek word parts ge, meaning "Earth" and kentron meaning "center."

<td style="width: 368.714px;">ge kentron geocentric

Earth center having Earth at the center

Learn these Greek word parts to help you remember the vocabulary terms.

The displayed text is clearly not a mathematical expression, so should it be transcribed using the UEB + and = signs?
    The preference for consistency of braille symbols is understood, but would this situation be an exception to that guideline?

Dorothy Worthington
    Participant

Cindi answered your question on the Formats forum. I am copying her answer here.

After checking on this, the consensus is that these are equations ... They just use words rather than numbers. As such, when transcribing a book using Nemeth and UEB, they should be done in Nemeth.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.