Web addresses; underscore

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Web addresses; underscore

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Good morning,
    I have questions about web addresses:

1. (refer to scan 1) The scan shows 2 web addresses in the lower left, are these added to Title Page? If not, are they mentioned anywhere in the preliminary pages?

NOTE: I recently took a Nemeth test for an agency without a city/state designation for the publisher on the title page, but it had a web address, so I used that in
    place of the city/state; it was not marked as incorrect. Unfortunately I cannot produce a copy at this moment.

2. (refer to scan 2) The address is underlined. I believe this is an underscore (456, 456). In the CBC there are examples of underlined text but I believe this is used as an emphasis indicator. I don't believe the underscore is used here for underlined words [u]for[/u], [u]begin[/u], etc. (see scan 3).

The underscore indicator is shown in the list of symbols but no example is shown. Is there an ending underscore indicator or is it used only at the beginning, following the "begin computer braille code" indicator?

Thanks,
    Fred

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I believe the underscore in Web addresses is the _ you see. For example in http://www.btc_montana/... the underscore is shown immediately before the word montana.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

There currently is no requirement that the web address go on the title page. If you feel it is necessary it could go on the line under the address of the publisher. There is also no provision for putting it anywhere else. The Formats chair says that the rules require just a few things from that print page: the ISBN, copyright date, and publisher name and address.

The line under the web address is not an underscore. It signifies that that section of print is a link to another page on the internet. Once you turn that address into braille it is no longer a link. I think you could cover this on the transcriber's notes page (In print, web addresses are underlined to indicate a link - or something like that). I have contacted the BANA Computer Braille chair to see if they have developed a standard way to handle this, and I will return to this question when I get an answer. If you look at this page (forum) you will see underlined text indicating a link.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I asked the CBA chair to comment on the question about underlined links. Here is her response.

I recommend to people that the underlining not be acknowledged. It's
    obvious to the reader by context, as well as by the presence of
    opening and closing indicators, where the link begins and ends, and
    adding an emphasis indicator would slow the reader down.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.