Web addresses

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kimberly Martin
    Participant

I have attached a sample of a web address, can you please advise if the space at the end of the line after the continuation indicator counts and terminates grade one and numberic mode.

5.6.2 When grade 1 mode is set by the numeric indicator it is terminated by a space, hyphen, dash or grade 1 terminator.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Dan Gergen
    Participant

Hello Kim,

In your example, the three lines that end with a line continuation indicator (dot 5) leave several cells empty at the end of the lines. These blank cells are not spaces that would terminate grade 1 mode that was set by the last numeric indicator. The line continuation indicator tells the reader that the electronic address continues on the next line because the symbols-sequence is too long for the line.

As such, with on the next line is in grade 1 mode that was set by the last numeric indicator and may not be contracted unless you terminate grade 1 mode after the previous numeric sequence. Whether you terminate grade 1 or spell-out with, you will not save space, but in either case, the four contractions that follow the first hyphen in the remaining symbols-sequnce may be used.

You may want to refer to UEB §5.9.1 to decide if you want to  use a grade 1 terminator to "present words in their familiar contracted form," or spell it out to "minimize the number of indicators."

I hope this helps. (I posted the same answer in your previous post.) Please let us know if you have any other questions or comments.

Dan Gergen

kdejute

Exactly, Dan.

The end of a braille line counts as a braille space unless the dot 5 continuation indicator is used.

Thank you for the question, Kim.

For what it's worth, I would be inclined to avoid use of the grade 1 terminator and transcribe your example as follows.

,may #bj1 #bjag1 https3_/_/www4npr4"
    org_/#bjag_/#je_/#bj_/#ebibcbhbc_/"
    with-lee-/atues-removal-ano!r-battle-"
    (-new-orl1ns-comes-to-a-close4

because I don't love the readability of

,may #bj1 #bjag1 https3_/_/www4npr4"
    org_/#bjag_/#je_/#bj_/#ebibcbhbc_/;'"
    )-lee-/atues-removal-ano!r-battle-"
    (-new-orl1ns-comes-to-a-close4

But either of the transcriptions above would be accurate.

–Kyle

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.