What do you do with notes in graphics?

Home Forums Tactile Graphics What do you do with notes in graphics?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    susierc
    Participant

I have to produce a graphic of a print bar graph with 2 notes: one has an asterisk and the other does not. I have a new laptop that will not work with my older scanner so I cannot provide you with a scan of the print. The title is United States Latino Population. There are 6 bars: the first 4 are blue and the last 2 are purple. The last 2 have an asterisk each next to the year below them on the graph. The asterisk stand for "Projected growth" which appears below the years in print. Below the note with the asterisk, there is another note without one: "Percentages indicate proportion of total US population that is Latino." Each of the 6 bars has its percentage above it. Where do I braille each of the notes and what format do use?: 7/5 format? Thanks so much. Susie

betty.marshall
    Participant

The following is taken from Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics, 2011.

5.6.4 Occasionally, information contained in a note or notes is essential for an understanding of the graphic before starting to read it. In this case, insert a transcriber's note before beginning the graphic.
    Example: "Note(s) shown in the graphic below."
    Place the note on the next line, preceded by the appropriate reference indicator starting in cell 7, with runovers in cell 5. When more than one note is shown, no blank lines should be left between the notes.

Betty

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.