Where to put the numeric indicator

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Where to put the numeric indicator

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Barbara
    Participant

I have a boxed tally chart on a math worksheet. The chart has a centered heading (Votes for Class President) and student names, none of which are Nemeth. The names are followed by tally marks. May the numeric indicator go after the centered heading in the box so that the heading may be contracted? What's your recommendation? Where would the ending NI be placed?

Thank you!

Barb

kdejute

Barb,

I believe you are asking where your opening Nemeth Code indicator and Nemeth Code terminator should go when you have the following scenario:

• a boxed table
      • preceded by a table heading that is all text
      • followed by material that will be in UEB
      • with row headings that are words
      • and entries that are all tally marks

In this scenario, I would put the opening Nemeth Code indicator and its required following blank cell in the first three cells of the opening box line, after the table's heading. And I would put the Nemeth Code terminator and its required preceding blank cell in the last three cells of the closing box line. Then I would uncontract all the row headings [and eat a cookie in celebration].

I hope that helps! Thank you for the question.
    –Kyle

Barbara
    Participant

Kyle: The heading is within the box (with all the rest of the information) so that changes it a bit I think. Would it be best to put the indicators before and after the box and don't use contractions in the heading, or to put the indicators on their own lines (within the box) both before and after the rows of information?

Thank you again.

Barb

kdejute

Barb,

Now I see! In the situation you describe, it would be best to put the Nemeth Code switch indicators on their own lines (within the box) both before and after the rows of information and so use contractions in the heading that's within the box.

The situation is now:

• a boxed table
      • followed by material that will be in UEB
      • with a table heading that is all text inside the box
      • with row headings that are words
      • and entries that are all tally marks

In this scenario, I would put the opening Nemeth Code indicator on a line by itself in cell 1 immediately before the first row. And I would put the Nemeth Code terminator on a line by itself in cell 1 immediately before the closing box line. Then I would uncontract all the row headings [and eat two cookies in celebration].

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.