Word problems

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Word problems

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

How would you transcribe the following problem?

Sale Price = Original price - Discount
    = (box)-(box) + (box)

Answer: The sale price is $(box).

The print copy uses blank boxes as signs of omission. My question is this: In a word sentence can I use contractions and does the minus sign come in contact with either of the words? My intuition tells me to use grade 1 braille on the words and to leave a space before and after the minus sign. I can't seem to locate the answer in the Nemeth Code book.
    Thanks,
    Laura B.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

In an equation made up of words you may use contractions in words that are not next to an operation sign or a comparison sign. In your example, all of the words would have to be uncontracted because "original" is next to the comparison sign and "discount" is next to the operation sign and the following comparison sign. You do not leave any spaces between the operation sign and the words. You would use (ed)4 for the boxes (if they are squares) and space them as if they are what they represent -- in this case a number. If the sentence expression must be divided at the end of the line, you must divide first of all before a comparison sign, just as you would with an equation composed of numbers.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thank you so much!
    L.B.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.