Workbook: Font; tab; repeated heading; diagramming

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Workbook: Font; tab; repeated heading; diagramming

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Hi Joanne,
    Attached is an image showing a page from a Grammar Workbook.

Q1. Are tabs omitted? They indicate chapters. On the TN pg I stated first use of a tab appears in the heading only when a new chapter begins, all others are omitted. I could not find any references to tabs in Formats.

Q2. The heading "Lesson 5 Nouns as Subjects and Complements" repeats on 3 types of work pages, Teaching, More Practice, and Application. I retained the main heading on each page. The italicized sub-head I put as a 2nd line with the main centered heading.

Q3. Sentence diagramming (by use of underlining) I brailled beginning in cell 1 w/r.o in cell 3.

Q4. The directions under the chart include capital letters in bold. I'm not sure how to do these. I think that the capital indicator would be enough to be distinct w/o the emphasis indicator. If emphasis should be kept should bold be retained? Also, should the capital letters be individually capitalized?

I can only attach an image file as my scanner is not functioning properly to render into a pdf. I apologize for the quality.

Thank you,
    Fred

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joannavenneri
    Participant

Hi Fred,

1. Tabs are generally omitted. If the chapter heading in the tab is used as a heading at the beginning of the new chapter, definitely omit the tabs. No TN is needed.

2. Headings are brailled the first time they appear and are generally not repeated as the material that pertains to them continues. However, if the same heading is used again after some other material under a different heading, repeat it in braille as in print.

3. I agree.

4. The bold letters are simple abbreviations to be used for word identification. The capital letters are enough, especially since the letters are well-explained in the text. The single cap S is preceded with a letter sign followed by the cap indicator. The other letters do not need the letter sign, because the double caps make it clear that these are just letters and none of them are contractions. DO is not the word do (as in DO something) and that is made clear in braille with presenting the letters separately with double caps. [simbraille],,do[/simbraille]

I suggest retaining the bold in the exercise itself because both both and italics seem to be used in the book, judging by the other material on this page.

An image file is just fine and a .pdf is not necessary as long as the image is good enough to be read. There is not problem in reading this one and it was very helpful. Thanks for including it.

If there are any more questions, please let us know!

--Joanna

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.