Missing post: Nemeth for Tensor Indices Notation / Multiscripts

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Missing post: Nemeth for Tensor Indices Notation / Multiscripts

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brian Richwine
    Participant

Hi, I made a post earlier called "Nemeth for Tensor Indices Notation / Multiscripts". It doesn't look like it ever cleared moderation. Did that post do something to violate the forum rules?

Thanks for clarifying,
    Brian Richwine

Lindy Walton

Brian, I'll look into this. Do you know the date of the original post?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Brian.

I just opened your original post that can be found here.

You didn't do anything at all to break forum rules. However, the security software that protects our website from attacks probably flagged that post because of the number of hyperlinks included. Again, you didn't do anything wrong by including those, but the software assumed that kind of post was spam.

In the future, don't hesitate to reach out sooner if you don't get a response to a post. That one was sitting there in limbo and I was able to go in and push it through.

Brian Richwine
    Participant

Thanks for checking into it!

Brian Richwine
    Participant

Oh, shoot - I wonder if that also happened to a post I made earlier today: "Nemeth output for directly-over and directly-under expressions", That post includes links to the MathCAT repository github issue that I am asking in reference to.

Lindy Walton

Brian,

The Nemeth Code calls this type of notation "non-simultaneous superscripts and subscripts". See Section 82.b of the 1972 Nemeth Code. A baseline indicator comes to the rescue. By inserting dot 5 before each non-simultaneous superscript or subscript, you will indicate to the reader that they are to be read left-to-right because you are returning to the baseline before indicating the next superscript or subscript. Here is the transcription of the image you provided.

_% ,R;I"^J";KL _:

Lindy

Brian Richwine
    Participant

Thank you, Lindy-

That makes perfect sense. I've responded with a screen capture of your response (and a link back to the post) to the MathCAT developer.

Thanks again!

Brian Richwine
    Participant

Hi, Lindy-

The developer of MathCAT responded with this question:

could you check with Lindy about the translation. I don't think she realized that the <code class="notranslate">k</code> and the <code class="notranslate">l</code> are in separate subscripts. Lindy's Nemeth translation places them in the same subscript. That is mathematically wrong because it would imply the last tensor index is "k times l" whereas there are actually four of them and the 'k' and 'l' are not (implied) multiplication. With that correction (and knowing that MathCAT leaves it up the to caller to add the Nemeth switch indicators), <code class="notranslate">⠠⠗⠰⠊⠐⠘⠚⠐⠰⠅⠐⠰⠇</code> as the correct MathCAT generates appears correct.

Does this make sense, Lindy?

Thanks!
    Brian

Lindy Walton

Hi Brian.

I am unfamiliar with MathCAT or with the topic of tensor indices and multiscripts. As a transcriber, I look at the print and translate it to Nemeth according to what I have learned about print-to-braille transcription. The possibility of having side-by-side letters at the same subscript level yet meaning two different "multiscripts" is not something I am familiar with mathematically. Insertion of the dot 5 before letter "l" does indeed separate it from letter "k" in a similar  manner that it functions as a separator between subscript "i" and superscript "j". I see nothing wrong with this transcription.

Lindy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.