Spatial problem with dollar Signs

Home Forums Unified English Braille Technical Spatial problem with dollar Signs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Bischke
    Participant

I would love others thoughts on how you would braille the following problem in UEB Math/Science.

$3.60

+  $2

Align the dollar signs, correct? Would you align the $2 with the $3?  I am thinking: dollar sign, numeric indicator, 3.60 on the first line; dollar sign, numeric indicator, 2 on the second line and the horizontal line/separation line on the third line while the $2 is throwing me off.

kdejute

Chris,

Thank you for your question!

Yes, I believe we would transcribe the question as you describe.

@s#c4fj
    "6@s#b
    "33333333

Attached is a picture of the above along with what I guess your print looks like ($3.60 over +$2 with the $2 not aligned with the $3 in print).

You and I and members of the NBA UEB Technical Material Committee are all inclined to align the problem's components in a mathematically logical way, with the 2 tucked nicely under the 3.

A word of WARNING though: If the components of the problem are not aligned in print, and you have reason to believe that is intentional, then you should follow the print. In other words, if the goal of the exercise is for the learner to identify alignment issues and proceed appropriately, then we need to reproduce the weird alignment in braille.

I hope this helps as you journey on in UEB Math/Science!

–Kyle

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

A note about the horizontal line at the end of the problem: Depending upon where you are transcribing or who you are transcribing for, you may need to treat it differently. For example, in Alberta, the horizontal line (or sum line) would begin in the first column after the plus symbol; in other words, the operation symbol stands out. Please be consistent in however you treat your horizontal lines and operation symbols.

Chris Bischke
    Participant

Kyle - Thank you for your feedback. So helpful and good to know that I am thinking on the right track.

Chris

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.